birding-aus

Mackay trip

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Mackay trip
From: "Bill Moorhead" <>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 17:31:25 +1000
Good afternoon to everyone,
I had cause to be in Mackay last week.....Billy Jnr (9) was playing Table Tennis so we all went.
150 species in the immediate area and up to Eungella.
Highlights:
Excellent views of Eungella Honeyeater in eucalytus forest (E.Citrodora).No photo opportunities.
Apparently there are no good photos inhabitat....so there's a challenge to visiting birders.
Their call is very loud and musical.It starts a bit like a Spangled Drongo and ends like a loud Scarlet Honeyeater.Anyone visiting should catch up with Marj Andrews.She'll direct you well.Right now the honeyeaters are in more open forest near Crediton State Forest making viewing easier than when they are resident in the rainforest or flocking in spring.
In a couple of adjacent trees we had Yellow-faced,Lewin's,White-naped,White-throated Honeyeaters,Little Friarbirds as well as Eungella Honeyeaters.
Met up with Jim from Brisbane....a keen birder I met in Tasmania....can't remember his surname but it was handy using his cassette recorder for playback!
Other highlights included:
Squatter Pidgeons also at Crediton and photographed;
Overwintering Pacific Golden Plovers at Illawong Beach,3 in full breeding colours;
Glossy Ibis,White-eared Monarchs and lots of Burdekin Ducks at McEwens Beach.

Downsides include the extra amount of lowland forest cleared for cane since our last trip 5 years ago;
increase in numbers of Red-whiskered Bul-buls and Common Mynas (not seen last time)

They have had Great-billed Herons in the mangrove channels in town recently but I missed them.
All the best,
Bill