birding-aus

Allegany County, New York from 2 ornary Oz.

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Allegany County, New York from 2 ornary Oz.
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 17:13:55 -0700 (PDT)
Sid and Sharon Genaux <> wrote:
From: Sid and Sharon Genaux <>
Subject: Greetings from Allegany County, New York
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 19:35:42 GMT

Hi John,

Sorry to take so long to write to you. I've been
keeping track of you by reading Birding-AUS through
the Birding on the Web Next Generation website. I'd
really like to see a photo of one of those penguins in
their
wooly jumpers--or a video of one staggering around
when it came out of the dryer!

I've finally got the slides weeded and organized. I'll
be sending you a box of slides of Oz birds soon. I
ended up with pictures of 152 species -- most of them
taken in the wild. I am very happy with the general
quality of the slides, too.

I am atlassing 4 blocks for the Year 2000 New York
State Breeding Bird Atlas Project. Each block is 2.5
square miles. The project will run through the summer
of 2004. In addition, I am doing 4 survey sites for
the
Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology's Birds in Forested
Landscapes program. It is a study to quantify the
results of forest fragmentation on predation of forest
species. There are about 50 species being monitored in
the US and Canada. Some are specific to certain
geographical areas and some are more widespread.

I have chosen Veery, Wood Thrush, and Eastern Wood
Pewee. I have checked each of my survey points once
and
will return in three weeks to do a second check. Then
I submit the results of the survey along with detailed
information on the location, altitude, size,
vegetation
types, and water sources around each of the survey
points. Checking for the birds and any predators, such
as cowbirds, hawks, jays, squirrels, etc. is the easy
part. The patch description is the real work. Luckily,
I have all summer to identify the trees and plants and
measure the distances to the nearest water, large
forested area, roads, buildings, etc. I am also going
to volunteer at a local Nature Center one day a week,
probably doing data entry and working on the
newsletter.

We bought a new car when we got home because our
Mercury rotted out underneath from sitting for a year.

We got a 1996 Ford Taurus. Then Sid and I discovered
that we were competing for the car--if I went birding
with it he was stuck at home. Also, he didn't like the
idea of taking the Taurus on rutted dirt roads while I
was atlassing. Luckily we found a great second car for
me. It is a red Chevy Geo Tracker--sort of a baby
Jeep.

It has four-wheel drive and good road clearance. It
also has great visibility--the windscreen isn't sloped
or rounded so you can see through clear to the edges
and the side windows are large and square--great for
birding. Since it is red and will be bouncing around
on the back roads, I named it the Red Roo. I even
ordered vanity license plates with Red Roo on them. It
is a neat little car and I am very happy with it. Sid
likes it too, but I don't let him drive it much!

Well, I'd better quit for now. Sid sends his regards.
Say "Hi" to Hilary, Eggy, and Lee for us.

Hugs,
Sharon
Sid and Sharon Genaux