birding-aus

Re: Avocets at Koorangang

Subject: Re: Avocets at Koorangang
From: "steve roderick" <>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 09:34:40 +1000

From: "Michael Dolan" <>
To: "steve roderick" <>
Subject: Re: [BIRDING-AUS] Re: Avocets at Koorangang
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 10:42:37 +0930

Hi Steve,

Noticed your posting re Avocets at Koorangang, I presume this is in the
vicinity of Koorangang Wetlands & Ash Island near Hexham?

I was in Newcastle late last week and as I had a little time Saturday
morning after the fog lifted and before my flight home I drove around Ash
Island. I was not really kitted out for birding other than a small pair of
travel bino's and I was still in work gear (no proper shoes/boots).

From the car I am sure I saw an immature Black-necked Stork from a distance
of about 40m, for approx. 2 minutes before it became edgy & took off. The
appearance and flight characteristics fit with Pizzey's description but I
didn't think they were quite this far south?

Are they regulars to this area?

Is this the correct spelling, I had jotted down in my notes Kooragang??

Regards
Michael Dolan

          Hey Michael,

Yes, yes, you picked up my spelling mistake, it is Kooragang. On the subject of the Black-necked Storks- we see them on Ash Island every couple of months, last wader count we did in May we saw a immature on Ash Island (probably same bird). 3 months ago we had two adult pairs on the Island, more often do we see a pair or single. The Storks are often recorded elswhere in the area as well, Hexham Swamp and Raymond Terrace in various locations. The majority of Avocets can been seen on the Dykes next to the Stockton Bridge on the west side- usually needing a scope or boat- at high tide. They can also been seen at the Big Pond, opposite the wind generator and Ash Island.

Regards
Steve Roderick