birding-aus

HOME LISTS

To: "birdingaus" <>
Subject: HOME LISTS
From: "Vella" <>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 18:18:42 -0700
My home list in Seven Hills (about 30-40km west of Sydney CBD) has about 88 species.This is just in an ordinary block and many of these birds have been seen just flying over (such as waterbirds) and not landing in our back yard. Every bird that flys over (except escapees) should be included for your home list (seen or heard). My latest addition was hearing a Silver Gull fly over at about 9 pm at night, a few months ago. Have also counted and heard Nankeen Night Herons flying over at night.

Most common bird is unfortunately the Common Myna . Sparrows are fortunately scarce.

My best bird is the Swift Parrot. Though I did also like seeing one time, a Peregrine Falcon fly fast just over my head.

Best birding moment over the backyard is seeing a flock of 3000 plus White-browed and 50 plus Masked Woodswallows on one occassion. Saw a Brown Falcon fly through this flock.

Edwin Vella