birding-aus

Re: WA&NT trip report

Subject: Re: WA&NT trip report
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 00:43:36 +1000 (EST)
On Sun, 20 May 2001, Andrew Taylor wrote:
> Also on the King after dark we heard an interesting
> call - a continual cackling from the mangroves just in from the fringe.
> We couldn't locate the bird despite some scanning with a spotlight from
> the boat.  The slippery mud banks deterred closer investigation.

Alistair Stewart and Frank O'Connor have both helpfully suggested in a
private e-mail this might have been a Chestnut Rail.  This was my first
thought at the time but I dismised it after reading the brief call
description in Slater, the only book I had with me.

The call was indeed similar to the Chestnut Rail call on the BOCA tape.
I should have checked out the tape before asking on birding-aus.

Meant to mention in my previous e-mail - I was a little surprised to see
a juvenile Silver Gull (i.e with brown ear patch) near the Wyndham boat
ramp - I hadn't expect them to be breeding in the region.

Andrew Taylor