birding-aus

You Yangs and Organ Pipes, Victoria

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: You Yangs and Organ Pipes, Victoria
From: Alistair Stewart <>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 12:19:22 +1100
G'Day All

My Saturday was spent wandering through piles of igneous rock for a
university feild trip. Fortunately, there were just enough birds around
to keep me awake and not pass out due to granite intrusion and basaltic
extrusion information overload!

The You Yangs are just to the west of Melbourne and north of Geelong
(Vic) and is basically a big pile of granite boulders. Highlights, for
me were a Peregrine Falcon, female, gliding effortlessly above while we
clambered over boulders. And a pair of Scarlet Robins, whos vibrant
colour contrasted brilliantly with the grey, overcast surrounds.

On to the Organ Pipes, to the North-east, where we looked at more rocks,
basalt this time. Fewer birds here, with highlights being a pair of
Spiny-cheeked Honeyeaters, and an aerial bombardment of our group from a
flock of Striated Pardalotes.

Please excuse my lethargy towards rocks, they were quite interesting,
especially the formations of the Organ Pipes, but not when there were
feathered distractions all around. Overall, not a bad day, with 21
species at the You Yangs and only 11 at Organ Pipes (full list follows).

Bird-on

Al Stewart

You Yangs 19/05/01
Superb Fairy-wren
New-holland Honeyeater
Striated Pardalote
Red Wattlebird
White-throated Tree-creeper
Red-browed Finch
Silvereye
Eastern Rosella
Brown Thornbill
Striated Thornbill
Buff-rumped Thornbill
Varied Sittella
Golden Whistler
Welcome Swallow
Eastern Yellow Robin
Grey Shrike-thrush
Eastern Spinebill
Peregrine Falcon
Rainbow Lorikeet
Australian Magpie
Scarlet Robin

Organ Pipes 19/05/01
Welcome Swallow
Striated Thornbill
Superb Fairy-wren
Red-browed Finch
White-browed Scrubwren
White-plumed Honeyeater
Brown Thornbill
New-holland Honeyeater
Brown Thornbill
New-holland Honeyeater
Striated Pardalote
Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater
Dusky Moorhen
(Common Eastern Froglet, Crinia signifera)