birding-aus

French Island trip (Vic.)

Subject: French Island trip (Vic.)
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 23:33:26 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Martin,
( Well it beats a Dear John eh :-] )

You wrote:
Some bird news for a trip to French Island in
Victoria's Western Port Bay last weekend (12 May 01).

Gee Western Port is coping some attention eh :-] I
wonder why? :-]

This was the monthly trip by Friends of French Island
(FOFI), mainly with the aim of removing some woody
weeds (Pinus radiata) and boxthorn (Lycium
ferocissimum) (amongst others!). Our location was
Tortoise Head which is at the extreme south-west
corner of the island and was once commonwealth land.
Tortoise Head is really only accessible on foot and
this meant we were able to record birds along the way.

Highlights were:

White-faced Heron - 200+ individuals in Tortoise Head
marsh (the highest no. I have ever observed on a
single wetland)

DON'T say that too loud please Martin :^D

Red-necked Stints and Red-capped Plover (still a few
about)

Did you head up about 400 metres Northwards? A nice
gathering of RNS there.

Welcome Swallow (100s) flashing past our heads as we
disturbed insects from the mangroves.

You been feeding the local birds again eh :-]

A Dolphin swimming past the ferry bow as we crossed to
the island - Shark and ray egg cases on the beach.

What no formally dressed birds hanging around for late
evening tea?????? wot none of "Honkers" friends and
family around?

Highlights:
Cutting down 'weedy big timber' with like-minded
people and seeing your work at the end of the day!

Lowlights:
The never ending supply of fisherman-related rubbish
and beach jetsam (eg. a plastic shark, fully inflated)
that is blown across from the mainland and fishing
boats.

Honkers and his mates will love you for this :-] bless
you.

All this is quite easily done as a day trip from
suburban Melbourne using trains and the ferry from
Stony Point.

Stony Point or Stoney Point? :^D

And, as FOFI members we get 'free' ferry trips via
Parks Victoria funds.

WOT!!!!! what's this!!!!! freebies for anyone no
matter where they are from? or where they are born? I
wonder if Victoria Quinton will let us all know how
much we can save on this beaut deal eh .... Aaaaah but
Martin did you call round to my place to get your
cuppa and soon to be extinct Victorian made Tim Tam's
:-] You could have saved this canny gummy pensioner
some postage money you know .....

Goes back to nursing my extracted teev .....
JAG

=====
7.5 million native birds were killed last year ....
10,000 Oztralians ( and two Yanks :^D )
Are now working to save them ...
You too can help, by donating to Birds Australia.