birding-aus

[Fwd: [BIRDING-AUS] Black Panther or Big Feral cat in Blue Mtns NSW]

To: "" <>
Subject: [Fwd: [BIRDING-AUS] Black Panther or Big Feral cat in Blue Mtns NSW]
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 15:48:45 +1000
--- Begin Message ---
Subject: Black Panther or Big Feral cat in Blue Mtns NSW
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 17:41:51 +1000
I missed out on this Panther story on A Current Affair, but around
Whittlesea in Victoria many people believe there are panthers or pumas
in the vicinity. Whatever it is screams from trees at night, frightens
dogs and farmstock, and leaves tracks at times. Those who have heard it
say it doesn't sound like a Barking Owl's screams either.

I have seen skins of Feral Cats which were of most impressive size, even
given that a cat wears its skin fairly loose, so that the skin always
looks larger than its owner did in life. The feral cats I have heard
about were described as very big indeed - about twice the size of
domestic puss. A friend who shot one told me that it was 'almost too
heavy to lift in both arms.' Unfortunately his photos didn't come out
and the skin was badly damaged by shot.

However, not all these stories are baseless. In North London (UK) last
week or so, the mysterious 'beast of Barnet' was finally captured. There
had been reports for about 10 years of a 'panther' seen in headlights
etc. but they were disbelieved until the capture of a female adult
European Lynx at Golders Green. Now in the London Zoo. A report appeared
in the Melbourne'Age.' Given the British tendency for very odd pets and
private zoos, as well as public ones, it's not so very unlikely. But I
wonder what it was living on all this time - rabbits? birds? stray cats?
Anthea Fleming in Melbourne

--- End Message ---