birding-aus

Fwd: [OB] Petition for top Spoonbill Sandpiper site

Subject: Fwd: [OB] Petition for top Spoonbill Sandpiper site
From: Axel Braunlich <>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 10:26:27 +0200
Dear fellow birders,

sorry if this e-mail is a bit off-topic within your list. It is about the
world-wide largest reclamation project, in South Korea. Please read the
text below carefully. You can help to stop it!

With kind regards,
Axel Braunlich
Oriental Bird Club Representative for Germany and Austria

>From: "nial moores" <>
>Mailing-List: list ; contact

>Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 06:57:36
>Subject: [OB] Petition for top Spoonbill Sandpiper site
>
>Best Chance to Help Stop the World?s Largest Ongoing Tidal-Flat Reclamation
>Project: Seamankeum,
>The World?s Top Site For Spoon-billed Sandpiper and Nordmann?s Greenshank.
>

>Dear all,
>Apologies for any cross-postings (or sense of déjà vu!).
>
>Two years ago, with your help, South Korean environmentalists conducted a
>highly successful international e-mail campaign that helped delay the
>ongoing Saemankeum (pronounced ?Say-Man-Gum?) Reclamation project.
>The 40 100 ha Saemankeum Reclamation on the west coast of Korea calls for
>the construction of a 33km long seawall (presently 59% complete), converting
>30 000 ha of tidal-flats and 10 000 ha of shallows into rice-fields and
>reservoirs.  This makes it the largest such project in the world.
>In size it is equivalent to 10 Japanese Isahaya Bay Reclamation projects, or
>to blocking off most of the Wash in the UK.
>The Saemankeum project, part of a national reclamation Master Plan calling
>for conversion of at least 70% of all remaining estuary and tidal-flat
>nationwide, was initiated in 1991 without genuine environmental impact
>assessment or debate.
>However, in the interim South Korean environmental awareness has been
>growing rapidly, as has peoples? understanding of the negative impacts of
>reclamation.
>Following growing protests (including the last e-mail campaign), the
>government has suspended the project for over a year, while it tries to work
>out ways to assess the possible impacts of damming two adjacent estuaries,
>and converting their 40 000 ha of intertidal wetlands into rice-fields.
>
>Now, in May 2001, after months of conflicting signals, the South Korean
>government finally appears poised to make a decision on whether to restart
>the project, or to cancel it once and for all.
>
>The decision is a politically difficult one for the incumbent government.
>Opinion within South Korea is both passionate and divided.  Huge sums of
>money have already been invested in it, and those in power within the local
>region want it continued for the jobs the construction supports.
>However, a growing number of the public, all major environmental groups and
>both the Ministries of Environment and the Ministry of Maritime Affairs and
>Fisheries are strongly opposed to the reclamation, on the grounds that the
>existing tidal-flats are critically important for biodiversity and
>fisheries, while the reclamation will create enormous pollution problems,
>and degrade a significant part of the broader Yellow Sea environment.
>For those interested in wetland and bird conservation both within and

>outside of Korea, Saemankeum is a critical but clear case.
>Both government and independent research confirm that the existing
> [...]

Axel Braunlich
Brusseler Str. 46
13353 Berlin, Germany
tel.: +49 30 4536692