birding-aus

Black-breasted Buzzard

To: "Stuart Fairbairn" <>
Subject: Black-breasted Buzzard
From: Clive Meadows <>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 19:53:19 +1000
At 04:20 PM 6/05/01 +1000, you wrote:

>Taronga Zoo has a daily free flying bird show. At present it is on at 1230.
>One of the raptors that has his own part in the show is a Black-breasted
>Buzzard.

Stuart, I saw the show earlier in the year and it is thoroughly enjoyable.
I think the Black Breasted Buzzzard is a female called "Slammer". If I
remember correctly, her keeper said that she was a captive bred bird and
wasn't taught to break the "egg" but that she  learned by instinct.

The show really is worthwhile - all the birds are free flying. The line up
when I saw it consisted of Sea Eagle, Black kite, Barking Owl, 2 Major
Mitchell's, Yellow Tailed Black Cockatoo and a cheeky Galah.

Rgds Clive