birding-aus

Black-breasted Buzzard

To: "Bob Forsyth" <>, "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Black-breasted Buzzard
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 09:27:09 +0800
Bob Forsyth wrote :
>The 1st Atlas (p94) says in part  "...suggests that adult B-b B
>are sedentary"
>My observations seem to confirm that theory.
>Any thoughts from the BoP experts ? Should I even think of
>looking for a nest ?

Bob,

Black-breasted Buzzards were rare at the Argyle Diamond Mine in the north
east Kimberley of WA until I saw one in May 2000.  An environmental survey
team then found a pair nesting in June 2000 in a large boab tree about 5km
(or a bit further) from my sighting.  I managed to follow up the nesting
pair a few times over the next few months.  I didn't see any young, but an
adult was on the nest (or came into the nest) each time I visited the site
until November 2000.  I suspect that the pair is still there, but I have
left site now.

I have found Black-breasted Buzzard to be fairly common between the Gibb
River Road turnoff and Wyndham in the far north east Kimberley, and a pair
has been seen reasonably often at Lake Eda on Roebuck Plains near Broome.
I don't know of many records elsewhere near these two sites suggesting
that they may be resident pairs.

Recently there have been several reports over 3 or 4 months of Black-
breasted Buzzards along the North West Coastal Highway north of the
Murchison River bridge.  They are regarded as recent arrivals south of
Carnarvon / Shark Bay, so these sightings are very likely to be the same
bird or pair.

So in answer to your query, I believe that they do appear to be sedentary
and that it is quite possible that there is a nest in the area.  However
even allowing for a 10km radius, that is a lot of territory to cover to
look for it!!

All the best
Frank O'Connor