birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Update - 6/5/01

To: <>, <>
Subject: Birdline Victoria Update - 6/5/01
From: "Paul Rose" <>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 09:12:18 +1000
Stuart and Other Fellow Birders,

Two interesting sightings to report, based on location more than significance of species.
This past Sunday afternoon I was alerted to a Barn Owl flying from the waterfront park in Williamstown out over the marina and then off over the harbour toward the City.  It was being mobbed relentlessly by Little Ravens and Silver Gulls.  I can only presume that it had been disturbed from its daytime roost by the hoards that descended upon Federation celebrations or perhaps the F-11 fighter that made several passes over Williamstown Marina.

My second sighting was of a Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater on a stroll around Newport lakes last Thursday evening.  A great little spot, this regenerated quarry and I would recommend it to any local birdo. I saw my first Crested Shrike-Tit, White-winged Triller and Aus. Spotted Crake at this location just off Mason Street in Newport.  As you descend down into the quarry the vegetation surrounds you and suburbia vanishes.  With a little imagination you could be in prime bush.  With regard to Spiny-cheeks, what is their seasonal migration pattern such that a bid would end up here ?   I am presuming that this is what has occurred as it is not the correct habitat to be setting up residency.

Regards,

Paul