birding-aus

Ashmore Reef pelagic, October 2001

To: <>
Subject: Ashmore Reef pelagic, October 2001
From: "Andrew Stafford" <>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 16:02:45 +1000
Hi all,

This may be seen to be stretching the rules re advertising, but I think this will be of interest to many birders and I have checked with Russell that it's OK to make this post.

Many of you will be aware of the success of recent pelagic excursions to Ashmore Reef. Due to high demand for places, this year two trips are are scheduled. The cruise running from 1-8 November is currently fully booked. However, there are FOUR places still remaining for an earlier trip, set down for 21-28 October.

These places need to be filled by the deadline 1 June, otherwise it will be cancelled. As I'm currently on the list for this trip, I don't want to miss out because not enough people knew about it! It's worth pointing out that this will probably be the last such trip for some time, as the current operators will not be available for the foreseeable future.

This part of Australian waters is still relatively unknown and is turning out to be a major hotspot for tropical seabirds. Among the highlights last year were Jouanin's Petrel (first record for Australia), several groups of Swinhoe's Storm-Petrel (second record), Matsudaira's and possibly Leach's Storm-Petrel, many Bulwer's Petrel, Tahiti Petrel, Streaked Shearwater, Lesser Noddy - not to mention Tropicbirds, Boobies, Frigatebirds, other tern species and various non-birding highlights.

If anyne is interested in taking up this opportunity, please contact me directly and I will forward your details to the operators.

Cheers,

Andrew Stafford