birding-aus

"Night Parrots" at Ninghan Station WA

To: <>
Subject: "Night Parrots" at Ninghan Station WA
From: "Vella" <>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 12:13:53 -0700
It just came to my mind that I should share the following. When I was in WA recently I had a discussion with the property owner Ashley Bell at Ninghan station about 400km north-east of Perth and I was asking him about the birds he had seen on their property. He mentioned he had Bourkes Parrots regularly but mentioned he had Parrots that come to the dam at Night which they called "NIGHT PARROTS". I say he was referring these Night Parrots as Bourkes Parrots as I have read that they are still active after dark and often come to drink at this time. The main habitat on the station is mulga on stony ground, quite sparse in some areas. Though, I personally believe that Night Parrots are still are well alive today, could some very brief sightings of Night Parrots by inexperienced observers in the past be in actual fact Bourkes Parrots? The ranges overlap between the two. Also the size difference between the two are not too far apart. However, a decent observation of a Night Parrot should show colour, shape, presumably different flight etc.

Edwin