birding-aus

surprising visitors to the Sydney CBD

Subject: surprising visitors to the Sydney CBD
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 23:34 +1000
Hi,
As you may have gathered, I take delight in spotting surprising visitors to the
Sydney CBD. Today I found an immature striated heron attempting to fish off the
rocks at Waverton park (in Berrys bay), on the outgoing tide, 2pm, at a
distance of only 750m from North Sydney railway station (well, as the crow
flies), or 2km from Sydney CBD (across the harbour). He kept stepping between 2
rocks, diving and coming up penniless - flew across to the beach to join some
chestnut teals, across to a boat ramp etc  The nearest mangroves are another
750m to 1km further back, at Balls Head Bay and Gore Cove.
Regards