birding-aus

What describes a bird as a full species or a sub-species?

To: <>
Subject: What describes a bird as a full species or a sub-species?
From: "Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 11:49:18 -0700
I was wondering if any experts out there can clarify what criteria is used to decide a species or only a sub-species? I am under the impression it is more than just physical differences, seperation between populations, habitat differences and differences in call. Is it DNA only? Whoever responds, can they reply direct and if anyone is interested I can summarise the responses to them.

What makes a Short-tailed Grasswren seperate from other former races of the Striated Grasswren and why would they want to lump Green Catbird with the Spotted Catbird?

Edwin Vella