birding-aus

RFI Condobolin area NSW

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: RFI Condobolin area NSW
From: "Judie Peet" <>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 09:18:49 +1000
Dear All,

Awhile back I posted an RFI re the Condobolin NSW area.  The enquirer, Mrs Webb had only a few people respond, and is seeking further info. I have pasted her own explanation below, in the hope that more people will be able to help. It does sound such a worthwhile project, specially as we are always saying that we want to see bird watching promoted in this country!

Regards, Judie Peet
(The only thing certain about bird watching is that nothing's certain!)

Mrs Webb writes:
In August 99 community members from Condobolin and the surrounding district formed a group, Western Plains Regional Development, the group is funded under the Commonwealth Government Rural Plan, to develop a Strategic Plan for the region and to promote tourism and development in the shire/region, the group employed a development officer, Pieter Verasdonck and The Lachlan Shire has agreed to support the group, especially in its second and third year. I am one of the many members and helpers of this group.

The area we are promoting is places along the Kidman Way and our Shire:
The Lachlan Shire: Albert, Burcher, Condobolin (where our group headquarters are based), Euabalong, Fifield, Lake Cargelligo, Tottenham, Tullamore, Bobbadah and Tullibigeal and its neighbouring shires: Bland: West Wyalong, Lake Cowal, Ungarie, Parkes: Trundle, Bogan Gate, Parkes, Peak Hill, Forbes: Eugowra Carrathool: Goolgowi, Carrathool, Hillston, Rankin Springs, Merriwagga, Cobar: Mt Hope, Byrock, Nymagee, Canbelego, Louth, Tilpa and Nyngan, Brewarrina: and Weddin:

As you can appreciate this is a very vast area and the concentration of our group is on the Lachlan Shire. Our group is promoting our shire as a whole region and not just individual towns.

When our representatives visited the Lake Cargelligo visitors centre they explained to us that they receive many requests from tourists as to what birds were there in the area to look at? Were there any hides in the area? Where was a good spot to go to, to see lots of birds, certain birds? Would or could we build or provide hides in certain areas? Apparently there are a number of birds that are unique to this region. So our group would like to provide them with the answers. Hence my seeking the help from the professionals in this area, people such as yourself. So I really thank you very much for taking the time to respond to our enquiry. So if you can help us in any way our shire and region would be ever so grateful. There appears
to be a very large group of people who are avid bird watchers and if we can help you all have a rewarding experience in our shire/region we would love to know how we can provide this for you and what specifically you would be looking for or would like to see provided.

Basically I am asking you how can we make our shire/region attractive, more attractive and user friendly to you as a bird watcher. I have seen the brochure put out by the Coonabarabran shire council Titled: Birds Routes of
Baradine & The Pilliga that has a map and photo of a black cockatoo and a spotted bowerbird on the front and this is the type of brochure/ information that we would love to be able to provide for our shire/ region.Can you tell us what things don't we provide that you would like us to provide to make your bird watching a more pleasant experience. How do we go about building hides? Are there spots within our region that you feel really need some hides? Are there existing services within our shire that have helped you with your bird watching? Are there things within our shire that have hindered you in your bird watching and need our urgent attention? Are there enough maps, trails, parks, places noted in our shire as having the species of  birds that you would be interested in watching?  Do you know if we do have truly unique birds that are not found anywhere else in Australia or close by shires? How do we go about obtaining/supplying a bird species list index of birds within our shire?

Other information that we would find useful to know from you would be: What would be the main purpose of a trip to our shire/region? Would it only be to participate in bird watching? or would you prefer to combine it with
visiting other attractions in the area if you knew about them? Have you been on a bird watching tour already in our shire/region? What information would you like provided for you, to help you in your planning if you were coming to our shire/region to bird watch and visit. If you were planning a trip would you mainly look at overnight stays, weekend stays, week trips, etc?What things/facilities/activities/wildlife/bird species would you be looking for to attract you to our shire/region? What improvements or activities would you like to see us make to this shire/region more enjoyable for visitors such as yourself? If you have been in our shire/region before do
you feel that there were/are adequate roads, road signs, brochures, local shops catering for your needs, services provided by local shops, accommodation, restaurants etc? What is your overall appeal to our
shire/region? Have you not really given our shire/region a thought for bird watching because we don't promote it well enough? If you were planning a trip for bird watching etc would you travel alone, bring the family, bring a
group of friends, bring a club?

I hope that with the information that you can provide and the data that our group can collect that the end result is that your bird watching experience in our region is of the best standard that we can offer and that your bird
watching will be all the more rewarding for yours and everyone's input. The Western Plains Development thanks you so very much and we will keep you updated with how we are progressing.

Many thanks,

Yours in tourism and the promotion of bird watching

Andrea Webb. m("westserv.net.au","conwood");">