birding-aus

Rainbow Bee-eaters

To: "Jon Wren" <>, <>, <>
Subject: Rainbow Bee-eaters
From: "Jim Davis" <>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 22:06:30 -0700
Jon:

   Great observation.   I have recently learned that birds flying over water
usually do so at a much lower altitude than when they fly over land.  Any
ideas why?  What was the wind conditions?  It makes sense that most birds
would lose elongated tails when flying over long-distances.  Doing so, would
reduce the bird's aerodynamic drag ... your observation also supports the
notion that elongated tails have evolved because of sexual selection, and
helps pin down migration dates of bee-eaters that are bound to vary from
year to year.  Thanks for sharing your observations.  May I post your
observations on "ibirding"?

Cheers, Jim

Dr Wm James Davis, Editor

Interpretive Birding Bulletin