birding-aus

Trip report-NSW/SE QLD

To: <>
Subject: Trip report-NSW/SE QLD
From: "Lynn Jenkin" <>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 20:08:36 +1000
Hi all!

Just back from a two week trip from Dungog NSW to Brisbane , visiting family and friends and squeezing in some birding. I saw 163 species for the trip, full list available if any one is interested in emailing me privately.

The first day we drove from Dungog to Guyra through Nowendoc & Walcha, stopping briefly at Dangar Lagoon near Uralla and Mother of Ducks Lagoon at Guyra. Forty species clocked up.

We stayed overnight on a property about 30kms west of Guyra and spent an hour from 9 to 10 A.M. around a dam with open woodland and some scrubby tea tree. Added around 25 species and there were birds everywhere, never knew where to look next.
Species seen included :

Yellow rumped, Brown & Striated Thornbills
Red browed Firetails
Mistletoe Bird
Black faced Woodswallow
White eared Honeyeater
White throated Treecreeper
Varied Sitella
Rufous Whistler

The next day we travelled over to Lennox Head and stayed with friends, adding about 20 species mostly seen whilst driving. A quick walk around the headlands next morning added

Whistling Kite
Brown Honeyeater
Leaden Flycatcher
Red backed Fairy Wren
Brush Wattlebird

The next leg took us to O'Reilly's Guest House for 2 nights, stopping quickly at Natural Arch on route from Murwillumbah where I added :

Spectacled Monarch - a tick! This bird has eluded me near home for so long !
Lewins Honeyeater
Brush turkey

Arrived late afternoon at O'Reilly's and a short stroll added the 3 Scrub wrens, Golden Whistler,
Yellow Robin, Eastern Whipbird, Wonga Pigeon & King Parrot.
Over the next two days, highlights included :

Noisy Pitta  3 separate good sightings.
Bassian Thrush
Russet tailed Thrush   another tick
Logrunners                  ditto      never tired of seeing these active creatures especially early one morning when half a dozen were all calling and chasing each other & actually running along logs. Saw about 14 all up and heard several others .

Alberts Lyrebird  another new one. An early morning chorus by a male perched on a rock beside the track ( Python Rock track ), and then I followed it up the track for about 5 minutes before it disappeared off into the bush.

Paradise Riflebird on the same track. A female came down for a close look at us. I find the ones at Barrington Tops do the same, they seem to be very inquisitive. Yet to see a coloured male, though have seen several females/immatures.

Regent Bowerbirds  on the bird feeder just outside the Dining room. Great views of a male whilst having breakfast only feet away.

Next day we travelled via Beaudesert and stayed at a wonderful BB ( "Worendo") about 30kms west of there in the Kerry Valley near the Lost World. This is actually immediately below O'Reilly's and had the road been O.K., would have travelled down Duck Creek Road and been much shorter and no doubt added a few more species such as Red browed Treecreeper, Eastern Bristlebird etc, another time.

An early morning sortie to the river about 1km from the BB proved to be too early as no birds at all at 6 or 6.30 . It was a cool morning with a breeze blowing . We drove onto the Lost World , nothing much there and retuned to the same river crossing about 6.45 A.M. and it was transformed. Birds everywhere and hard to spin the binoculars in all directions. Highlights included

Pale headed Rosellas
Double barred Finches   several
Restless Flycatchers     4
Brown Quail    2 feeding in good view on the side of the road
Bar shouldered Doves
Golden headed Cisticola
Rainbow Bee-eaters   2
Olive backed Oriole
Figbirds
Striated Pardalote
Plum headed Finches     8 feeding on road & sitting on barb wire fence.
Tree Martins     one hundred plus, flocking, a great sight.
Red backed Fairy Wren
Scaly breasted & Rainbow Lorikeets

We then travelled via Mt Tamborine to the Gold Coast for a conference. Adding

Pale Yellow Robin    another  tick
Wompoo Pigeon
Green Catbird  ( had only heard them at O'Reilly's )
Little Lorikeet

A quick walk from the hotel at Broadbeach added

Pelican
Tawny Frogmouth
White breasted Woodswallow.
Blue faced Honeyeater

Next to Brisbane

Stayed at Corinda. In the back garden was a flowering Umbrella tree and we were entertained by constant visits from Rainbow & Scaly breasted Lorikeets, Little Friarbirds and Blue faced Honeyeaters .

Sherwood Arboretum added

Forest Kingfisher
Striated Heron ( on the river bank opposite )
Channel billed Cuckoo

Didn't see any crakes/rails or Bitterns but water levels may have been too high and even early morning there were lots of walkers/joggers around. At least I found the spot where the Little Bittern had been seen last year, one day I'll get it.

Off to Redcliffe as already reported in an earlier message

Highlights were many waders in breeding plumage
Wandering Tattler
Grey tailed Tattler
Caspian Tern    3
Pied Oyster Catcher   13
Great Knot   300+ many in breeding plumage
Red Knot
Eastern Reef Egret  both morphs
Whimbrel
Pacific Golden Plover
Bar tailed Godwits   30  some in breeding plumage
Curlew Sandpiper

A night at Tangalooma on Moreton Island added

On the trip over

Arctic Jaeger ? presumably as there were 6 sitting on the water as the ferry zoomed past them , 2 light & 4 dark morph. Couldn't see their tails but the number present and the location would indicate Arctics.
Brahminy Kite

At Tangalooma added

White- bellied Sea-Eagle
White cheeked Honeyeater
Lesser Crested Tern    2   another tick

A very quick stop at Girraween National Park near Stanthorpe on the way home added

Weebill
Spotted Pardalote   to complete the trip list.
There were lots of birds around the picnic area late afternoon but these were the only additions. Dipped on Turquoise Parrot, Chestnut rumped Hylacola, Diamond Firetails but didn't have time to search too far.

Seven new ticks for the trip and lots of magic birding moments.

Cheers

Dick Jenkin