birding-aus

Mt Lofty Spotted Quailthrush

To: "BIRDING_AUS" <>
Subject: Mt Lofty Spotted Quailthrush
From: "David & Sue Harper" <>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 20:10:59 +0930
Thanks to all,
                    who responded to my request for info regarding SQT's. It was unfortunate that the majority of responses only came after my comments to Tony Russell's question regarding Crescent Honeyeaters in the Mt Lofties. I made those comments to Tony on purpose in the hope that it would stimulate some replies. I have apologised to Tony in private and now unreservedly apologise to subscribers of this list for resorting to such tactics (although I did prove my point)

For the record the Mt Lofty Spotted Quailthrush  (C.p.anachoreta) hasn't snuffed it quite yet. A male was seen in October 1999, info that has only just come to light. I am currently searching for it as time permits. As for doing my homework, yes Paul I have done just that. I probably know more about SQT's in South Australia than anyone else, I just lack field experience with them. It is difficult to gain that when the birds here are critically endangered and subsequently very thin on the ground. That is why I have made appeals to subscribers who may be more familiar with the birds than I am.

The nearest "viable/visible population of them to the Mt Lofties is in the Lower Glenelg district in Victoria. I'll be searching for them there at Easter in order to gain that experience. Hopefully armed with what I learn there and the info supplied by several people on this list I will find them in the Mt Lofties once more.

Cheers and good birding
David Harper