birding-aus

Holiday in the rain

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Holiday in the rain
From: "Peter Waanders" <>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 15:51:30 +0930
Hi everyone,

Came back from a 21/2 week trip trip from SA to the Sydney, Blue Mtns, Canberra, Alps, and despite having had more rain in that time than we get here in SA in a whole year, I still managed to find 9 new lifers.
Some highlights:
At Barren Grounds, my wife flushed a Ground Parrot from beside the walking track to the lookout while I was putting my camera in my bag to stop it getting wet. I still managed to see it fly across the heath. Also there an Eastern Bristlebird and a few Southern Emuwrens.
At the Thomas & T. site in Epping, a beautiful Powerful Owl, and no less than 3 Rockwarblers at various spots in the Blue Mountains. Also two Pilotbirds here. Along the Glen Davis road a Speckled Warbler and a Western Gerygone, no Regent HEs though. At the Orroral campsite in Namadgi NP near Canberra stunning views of Spotted Quail-thrush, there were at least four there. >From there towards Jindabyne, along the roadside through a dry forest I spotted a small quail-like creature, we stopped & I jumped out of the car to have a closer look as it was then scratching around in the leaflitter, a nice Painted Button-quail. That night bushcamping in the Kosciuszko area I heard a Little Button-quail. The next day sleet, wet & cold, we followed the River Murray from there (it's pretty well stuffed up right from the start!). At Chiltern lots of Yellow-tufted HE's, a Turquoise Parrot and a Crested Shrike-tit. In Swan Hill it was still raining, but by the time we got back here in Waikerie (gateway to Gluepot) there was a dust-storm and no significant rain has fallen for a long time.
Thanks to all those who provided me site locations and other helpful information via birding-aus a few weeks ago, although I failed to find Superb Parrots I'm quite pleased with the result. It also shows that after almost 10 years the T&T guide is still quite relevant!

Regards

Peter Waanders

Birdwatching South Australia: www.riverland.net.au/~peterw

The information in this e-mail may be confidential and/or legally
privileged.  Use or disclosure of the information by anyone other than the
intended recipient is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received
this e-mail in error, please advise by return e-mail.