birding-aus

Birding near Kurnell.

Subject: Birding near Kurnell.
From: "Marc Anderson" <>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 07:10:23 -0000
Hi All,
          I spent a few hours today birding around the Kurnell area, Sydney. I am not sure what the wetland is called (is it Lake Francis??) but it is opposite the golf driving range at Kurnell & has recently had a lot of work put into it to attract migratory waders. Last time I visited this site around 2 years ago it was almost devoid of birdlife as the water level was very high. Now that the water level is being controlled, there are a lot more birds to see.
Of particular note were Musk Duck (1 female) & Rufous Night Heron (1 imm.). Other birds seen were:
Aust. Pelican (6)
Aust. White Ibis (70+)
Striated Heron (2)
Chestnut Teal (18)
Pacific Black Duck (8)
Maned Duck (1)
Little Pied Cormorant (3)
Little Black Cormorant (5)
Pied Cormorant (3)
White-faced Heron (12)
Silver Gull (60+)
Masked Lapwing (2)
Spotted Turtle Dove
Galah
Welcome Swallow
Red-whiskered Bulbul
Grey Fantail
Black-faced Cuckoo Shrike
Superb Fairy-wren
Yellow Thornbill
Red Wattlebird
New Holland Honeyeater
Silvereye
Common Starling
Aust. Magpie Lark
Aust. Magpie
Pied Currawong
Aust. Raven

Total of 30 species. A big improvement on what it was 2 years ago.

Cheers
Marc Anderson
57 Parklands Ave
Heathcote. NSW.2233