birding-aus

Bustards and double standards

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Bustards and double standards
From: "Robert Read" <>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 22:24:35 +0930
During the drawn out debate on cannon-netting one person, who I do not wish to single out for criticism wrote

"I read with interest from many "netters" who state the
method of canon netting kills birds, this has NOT been
denied by anyone on this list. Does it matter if it is
one bird in a million, or one bird in a hundred?"

Perhaps the critics of cannon-netting might consider that the next time they jump in their cars to go off twitching there is a real possibility that they will kill some unfortunate bird.  It is a fact that no matter how careful the driver any car moving at above 40 kph (or perhaps less) over a long distance will kill a certain number of birds.

I suspect that no one lets this unintended, but still unfortunate consequence stop them travelling by car, and that few even moderate their speed to reduce the risk of killing birds.  If we accept the unintended killing of birds for relatively frivolous reasons why the howls of outrage over the accidental killing of a very small number of birds by netters engaged in serious research which may helpful for conservation?

About a week ago I posted a note on the dramatic decline in numbers of Australian Bustards in this region.  Curiously this attracted no comment.  No one has suggested that cannon-netting has lead to the decline of any species, yet it is the subject of vociferous criticism.  Strange that bustard hunting, which appears to be causing a substantial decline of this species, is ignored.

Robert Read
Alice Springs