birding-aus

Making nest boxes

To: Purcell's <>
Subject: Making nest boxes
From: Bob Sothman <>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 20:36:16 +1030
Others will have much more experience than me, but here is my limited success anyway ..........

Early last year I used 12 mm marine grade ply (from Bunnings, two sheets cost near $100.00) to build half a dozen  nesting boxes which resulted in  a number of successful nestings so far.  How long the boxes last remains to be seen but I would expect them to last 5 - 10 years without too much maintenance.  Building something that lasts a while, I suggest, is important as the easiest bit, by far,  is to build the nest boxes.  It is much,  much more difficult to get a big nest box, such as one for a Barn Owl, fixed securely 25 m+  up a big tree.

Dont be surprised  if some birds do not read the books on nest boxes & do not always nest where the books say they should, for example,  I  had Galahs nesting in an "Barn Owl" nest box (unfortunately no owls to date.)

Good luck.

Bob Sothman
Adelaide

Purcell's wrote:

I have several sources of information about the construction of nest boxes. I wish to construct a number for my block which is being revegetated. But I can never find reasonable wood at the local stores. One book says look for exterior grade ply around 3-4 cm thick (insulation against hot temps.) I cannot find anything like that. Bunnings would have 25 mm chipboard, or 12 mm ply. Can anyone suggest a source of suitable wood, please?