birding-aus

Ship assisted birds

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Ship assisted birds
From: Phil Gregory <>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 22:55:11 +1000
Hi folks,
Interesting to follow the debate on this one, and
good to hear that there is a policy in existence
even if lots of folks don't know about it! In
Britain ship ship assistance is acceptable as long
as the bird is not restrained or fed on the voyage
(a pretty grey area admittedly....) Things like
Lark Sparrow are now on the list after being found
right by a busy container port, and I'm sure House
Crow will make it too, there's already an Irish
record and they've had a few in Holland too where
the same rules apply.

One of the more famous candidates for the British
List was Snowy the Sheathbill, who hitched a ride
back to Falmouth after the Falklands war. Sadly,
it was fed on the voyage and maybe briefly
restrained, so it never made the list, though
plenty of folks went to see it just in case.

I can't see a Black-billed Magpie hitching a ride,
I'm sure it was a pet or a smuggled bird, but
House Crow should certainly be on the list given
their well known history of dispersal.

One thing I would like to know, given the apparent
dropping of a species from the list, is there
actually an Australian list committee, and if not
why not?

Phil Gregory
Cassowary House, Kuranda