birding-aus

Top End Trip Report

To: "" <>
Subject: Top End Trip Report
From: Susan Myers <>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 11:03:37 +1100
Following is a short(ish) trip report of a recent trip to Darwin and
surrounds, followed by the bird list (not annotated). I am in the process
of posting a more detailed report including annotated list on my webpage
www.websurf.net.au/~susan so have a look in a few days time if you're
interested.
cheers,
Susan Myers

NT Report
On Chris' instigation, a group of us  (Stuart Dashper, Chris Lester,
Rosemary Lester, Ross Mulholland, Fred Smith and myself) have recently made
a 10 day trip to the Top End in search of birds (of course) and this is a
brief report on that sojourn. Our trip in the wet season was extremely hot
and humid but well worth the effort for the cheap air fares, lack of other
tourists, spectacular thunderstorms and super birding.
We picked up our car at Darwin airport and headed directly to Howard
Springs where we enjoyed a good start to our birding. Back at Darwin for a
couple of days we checked out the sewage farm, Buffalo Creek, East Point
and the mangroves at Bleeser's Creek with much success all round. Chris
organised a boat trip up Bleeser's Creek, which turned out to be a
brilliant idea because we had fantastic views of Chestnut Rail,
Great-billed Heron and Beach Stone-curlew all in the space of about an
hour. Many thanks to Niven McCrie for helping us out at the sewage ponds
where we were unlucky not to connect with the Gargeney but were well
compensated by Little Curlew, good numbers of Yellow Wagtails and Common
Sandpiper and a couple of Little Ringed Plovers. We then made our way south
to Edith Falls, Katherine and Mataranka before looping north again to
Kakadu and Fogg Dam. The main attraction at Edith Falls was good numbers of
Hooded Parrot although the adult males proved a little tricky to track
down. At Mataranka we briefly saw two Red Goshawks having a bit of a blue
before we finally got great looks at a perched bird. Other attractions here
included a dip in the hot springs! Kakadu was largely underwater but we
were able to access Nourlangie Rock where we had little trouble finding
Banded Fruit-Dove and White-lined Honeyeater. For some reason
Chestnut-quilled Rock-Pigeon eluded us at first but we met with success on
the second day when we had close and prolonged views of four birds on the
path and in the car park. While Stuart and I were off looking for
rock-pigeons the others took the Yellow Waters boat trip where the good
numbers of Oriental Cuckoos were apparently the most interesting record.
Some spotlighting around the Cooinda area in search of mammals was
spectacularly unsuccessful though! At Fogg Dam we found a fair bit of water
lying around but I really liked this spot mainly because this is where I
got the best views of the undisputed bird of the trip (for me), that is,
the gorgeous Rainbow Pitta. We saw at least six pittas here as well as
Cicadabird, Little Kingfisher and Green-backed Gerygone amongst others.
Stuart and I had a few extra days after all this so we decided to make a
trip to Victoria Crossing and Timber Creek. This turned out to be a wise
move with some great sightings including good numbers of Star Finch and
Yellow-rumped Mannikin, White-quilled Rock-Pigeon, Spinifex Pigeon and
Oriental Cuckoo. Not surprisingly, no sign of Gouldian Finch or Pictorella
Mannnikin. There was also the superb scenery at Gregory National Park
enhanced by the numerous waterfalls following an overnight thunderstorm. On
returning our dinky Toyota Echo hire car, the receptionist looked at us
incredulously saying "Do you realise you've done over 1300 kilometres?"  We
didn't think it was too far to travel for a few finches and pigeons!
Other contenders for bird of the trip (and I am deciding this unilaterally
so there may be some dissent) would be Rufous Owl at the Bot Gardens,
Chestnut Rail or Red Goshawk of course, Hooded Parrot, Purple-crowned
Fairywren - well, the list goes on?.
Thanks to Chris, Rosemary, Stuart, Fred and Russell for their great
company, Chris for planning and booking things, Niven for help and advice
and all the others on Birding Aus who helped us out.

Orange-footed Scrubfowl
Brown Quail
Magpie Goose
Plumed Whistling-Duck