birding-aus

new birding-aus archive in place

Subject: new birding-aus archive in place
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 12:16:55 +1100 (EST)
The re-vamped birding-aus archive is now in place at
http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/birding-aus/

The archive contains over 20,000 messages sent to this list over the
last 6 years.  It contains almost every message sent since October 1996.
It also contains some of the more interesting messages from 1995 and
1996 which were manually archived by Russell.

The archive is purely a compilation of messages sent to this list.
Messages are added to the archive automatically without being reviewed,
checked for accuracy or edited in any way.  Neither myself personally
nor the University of NSW take any responsibility for the contents of
the archive.

Queries about the archive including requests to get messages removed
from the archive can be e-mailed to me at
In particular, if you feel a message is defamatory please contact me.

The archive is hosted on a University of NSW computer - my research
machine.  I can justify this because I do some research in bioacoustics
and occasional messages to this list are relevant to this research.
Also UNSW, in general, likes to provide services to the community where
it can easily.

I apologize for the unreliability of the (old) archive.  Until October
it was housed on an aging workstation which failed every few weeks.
More recently, extensive construction work on campus has seen seen several
scheduled and (worse) unscheduled power outages and backhoe operators
have on three separate occasions severed campus network connections.
Hopefully reliability will now improve.

There is possible problem with the new archive.  The new archive format
has resulted in changes to the URLs of messages within the archive.
This is unfortunate if you have previously saved the URLs of particular
messages.  These URLs currently lead into a copy of the old archive but
they may stop working in the future.

If this would be a major inconvenience for you, i.e. if you have a number
of such message URLs saved, please contact me.  If there is sufficient
need, I'll look at re-directing the old URLs into the new archive.

Andrew Taylor