birding-aus

House Crow and ship assists blah blah

Subject: House Crow and ship assists blah blah
From: "James Watson" <>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 06:27:22 -0000
I do agree that with Philip's idea that it is your own personal preference whether you count or do not count birds. To some of us it is a enjoyable game to list the birds you have seen. The game (I?m afraid) needs rules. Dion has succinctly summed up the rules so I don?t want to harp on about that.

I have a couple of thoughts though. If people don't agree with the rules of the game, play another game. If you don't want to play at all- then don't play. Philip asked if 'some of us take ourselves too seriously? and then proceeded to lecture us all about his contribution to avifaunal conservation. I think Philip?s point was that he does not have to be a ticker to contribute to bird conservation. I agree with Philip BUT what we have to remember is that Australian tickers/ twitchers have made an enormous contribution to the overall understanding of avifauna in Australia. It has been the Mike Carters, John Izzards, Fred Smiths, John McKeens, Glenn Holmes, Niven McCrie's etc of Australia - and not the ?professional? ornithologists that exist in our universities - that have redefined the way we think about our waders and seabirds in Australia. And it is nearly always the hearty twitcher walking through the worst conditions in the worst weather that finds a bird that is not supposed to be there. And this changes our perspective on this bird?s distribution, which in turn is valuable information on its overall conservation.

The game is fun. I say to all the twitchers- lets keep on tallying and while doing it, lets keep expanding our knowledge on birds.

First to 800 wins...

James Watson