birding-aus

*Birding* and *Netting*

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: *Birding* and *Netting*
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 16:39:03 -0800 (PST)
G'day All and Big Al,

I feel very proud to be a member of this list? why is
that? mainly because of the total free speech that is
allowed to exist on this very healthy list. Many human
activities exist that link humans with birds, i.e.
birdwatching, bird protection, and a whole facet of
other cross linked activities. It is an extremely
healthy lifestyle afterall. Business's have grown up
with the use of wild bird activities and many are in
fact situated at good bird viewing locations.

We have our own Birds Australia which spawned out of
wild bird care, caring and conservation.

Australian children have been re-educated with the
ways of wild birds. (My thoughts only, but not quite
enough as yet).

BUT all Australian land birds depend on a critical
single issue? their habitat ..... yep! not ours! but
their habitat ..... I arked up when the bush was being
massively flattened at a huge rate of speed in the
Australian region named Queensland, did and do my best
to shame those in power at what they allow to happen,
despite how I like that state. The flattening rate in
fact has now sped up again just before an election?
surely a moratorium should now be switched or turned
on?

Anyways I digress, the issue re: Netting it is known
to be an unsafe practice hence so much training and
possibly retraining and refresher courses are imposed
upon those that net. The fact a license holder is
required for "canon netting" is I think mainly due to
the possible element of risk? risk not only to the
life of birds but human life also.

In the very full reply from Andrew Geering to Marilyn
Davis (re: Netting) Andrew raises some points that has
got me twitching ( on an OH&S front ) ..... am I right
to think that if I email Andrew and the response from
Andrew is inadequate to placate my fears? then it
should be raised as an item of interest for all on
this list to debate?

John A. Gamblin

"Watering his Pelicans"