birding-aus

Legal Status

Subject: Legal Status
From: "Mark Sanders" <>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 07:18:11
Peter and friends

In my experience, the listing and legeslation for protection of QLD native Fauan is pitiful. For example, several species that are listed as NATIONALLY vulnerable, are absent from all queensland legeslation (eg The Border Thick-tailed Gecko - Underwoodisaurus phyrurus). Can someone please explain to me how a species that is considered as Nationally vulnerable is not then considered to be even Threatened, Vulnerable or Rare in QLD. They are several examples of this and other flaws...and that is just the tip of the iceburge as far as holes in QLD legeslation. (another eg is that one of the last known population of Greater Gliders within Brisbane/Goldcoast area is about to be cleared for development).

I am entirely in agreeance with you regarding the call to loby QLD government over such flaws. If this was changed, then not only would activities such as the removal of those bowerbirds become more difficult, but it would slow the effects of a much larger threat...development in environmentally significant areas. Lobying environemtal agencies that are responcible for these decisions/legeslation would be far more affective than attacting individuals.

Cheers

Mark Sanders