birding-aus

African Bird ID Quiz

Subject: African Bird ID Quiz
From: Callan Cohen <>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 06:35:51 +0200
Dear all

We'd like to invite you to participate in a new South African mystery bird
ID quiz at www.birding-africa.com (there are even some nice prizes!). We
would welcome any discussion on these birds (the correct ID's are known).

There are 6 mystery land and seabird photos, including a tern, a lark, a
skua, a  raptor, a wader and another small passerine - all photographed in
South Africa.

As an incentive to commit your answers (they are not all that easy!), the
three people with the highest scores who send us their answers by the 15th
Feb will each win an African bird book. There will also be a beginner's
prize
for the participant who send us the correct genus of each of the six birds
in question. On 22 Feb, we'll post a list of the winners on the site. We'll
also post a discussion of features used to identify the birds, some of which
may not be in the local fieldguides.

The answers can be submitted on an online form. We will not be giving the
addresses of participants to anybody, but need them only for the draws
and to send the prizes.

Any comments and suggestions are most welcome!

With best wishes from Cape Town,

Callan Cohen, Claire Spottiswoode and Peter Ryan

Percy FitzPatrick Institute of African Ornithology
University of Cape Town, South Africa
                    BIRDING AFRICA
      Visit our website www.birding-africa.com
Callan Cohen - Claire Spottiswoode - Peter Ryan
            Email:
  Tel: +27 21 683 1898 - Fax: +27 21 671 2990
                Mobile: +27 83 354 2882