birding-aus

Weekend at Yarrawonga

To: "" <>
Subject: Weekend at Yarrawonga
From: mark kliene <>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 22:48:03 +1100
Hi All,
I had an opportunity to do some intermittent birding this weekend whilst staying at a resort in Mulwala 270 km NE of Melbourne - just into New South Wales from Victoria on the southern edge of Lake Mulwala on the Murray River.  Thanks to Chris Tzaros for his maps they indeed gave me a starting point.  Birds of note for one (who does not get north of the state often) :- Blue Faced Honeyeater at the resort pool on friday night.  Saturday morning around 9 am headed off to do some birding on my own.  First stop Lower Ovens Regional Park (where the Ovens & Murray meet)  I traversed the north track by vehicle stopping here and there to walk into the bush. I had my digital handy cam to record bush sounds and follow up on birds I may record on film.  It was already over 36 degrees with no one else in the area (except for the slightly unnerving shot gun blasts in the distance).  Chris, the campsite is as you said excellent.  Birds of note in this area :- Diamond Dove, Bar Shouldered Dove, Sacred Kingfisher, Red Backed Kingfisher, Prolific Brown Treecreeper, White Throated Treecreeper.  Around 11.30 am I headed towards Chiltern Box Ironbark National Park, where I had a fairly brief nose around Frog Swamp (off the Murray Valley Highway). Lovely little spot where I came across:- White Winged Chough, Peaceful Dove, Sacred Kingfisher, Yellow Tufted Honeyeater, Dusky Woodswallow, Black Faced Woodswallow. Across the Hume Highway at the Honeyeater Picnic Area Dam Walk :- Little Lorikeet, Yellow Faced Honeyeater, Yellow Tufted Honeyeater, Fuscous Honeyeater, Eastern Yellow Robin (singing), Grey Shrike Thrush, Black Faced Cuckoo Shrike, Richard's Pipit.  Total 4.5 hours driving/birding. Another highlight a pair of Apostlebirds wandering about while I had a hit of cricket in the nets at the Mulwala Cricket Club.  Unfortunately I did not have an opportunity for any spotlighting around Boorhamen North. Also dipped on Grey Crowned Babbler. Next time... Also of note was the general absence of Common Myna. Only on the way back to Melbourne did I see a pair on the roadside near Benalla.  All in all a nice hot weekend, mixing some birding with sunshine associated activities.

Cheers,

Mark Kliene.

Bird list as follows:-

Australian Pelican