birding-aus

Spotlighting at Erina and Bobbin Head NSW Jan 2001

To: <>
Subject: Spotlighting at Erina and Bobbin Head NSW Jan 2001
From: "Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 11:07:32 -0000
This week have been spotlighting with Lorne Johnson in 2 different locations close to Sydney with some interesting finds as follows:

Bobbin Head (Sphinx track) (Thursday - 11th Jan) (about 20km north-west of Sydney CBD) - pair of Powerful Owls heard calling quite early and just before dusk, Soon after heard a White-throated Nightjar or two and some Owlet Nightjars. We also found an Eastern Blind Snake (Rampphotyphlops nigrescens) feeding on ants, a Wood Gecko (Diplodactylus vittatus), disturbed some wallabies/pademelons and heard a number of bats.

Katandra Reserve at Erina (Saturday - 13th Jan)  (about 70 km north of Sydney CBD) - whilst looking primarily for marsupials and frogs we were delighted to see a Sooty Owl hunting for rats near the Seymour Pond. One took off from the ground as we approached and landed in a horizontal branch providing us with excellent views with a nice sized rat in its talons. We also saw another Sooty Owl fly from tree to tree, presumably trying to get one of the Sugar Gliders which were calling in the area. The Sooty's were calling during the 3 hours we were there mainly giving their screaming calls but also the odd falling bomb and trilling calls. We also saw a Tawny Frogmouth and heard a Boobook Owl.

 Around the pond we also bumped into a Southern Leaf-tailed Gecko (Phyllurus platurus), Brown Antechinus, some unidentified rat (similar to what the Sooty Owl caught), atleast 4 species of Frog - Dwarf Green Tree Frog (Litoria fallax), Leaf Green Tree Frog (Litoria phyllochroa) and Peron's Tree Frog (Litoria peronii) aswell as Striped Marsh Frog (Lymnodynastes peronii), Grey-headed Flying Fox, microbats, wallabies, spiders, crickets, slugs, beetles etc.

For those interested at Ourimbah (nearby), we also heard what was most certain to be Green-thighed Frogs (Litoria brevipalmata)after taping them calling and identified by an identification tape.

Edwin