birding-aus

RFI Anglesea birding locations

Subject: RFI Anglesea birding locations
From: Margaret Cameron <>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 17:52:14 +1100
Anglesea is a great birdwatching centre, Tim has covered most relevant info so I'm just adding to it. Angair which is the local natural history society is a greeat source of info and has published some good booklets.

1 Since it's school holidays I'd expect Rufous Bristle birds to be better early as there tend to be lots of people round in the afternoon even late. As well as at Airey's lighthouse they are at the Point Addis carpark and in the heath on the Bell's Beach side of the ironbark basin (right down near the sea at the entrance to the coast walk).

There is also a coastal heath walk which goes westish from the car park at the top of Urquhart's bluff and they can be heard along there (I haven't looked at them!).

2 On the left as you go down the Point Addis Rd is the carpark for the ironbark basin a very good birding site. The Geelong Field Nats published a comprehensive bird list for the area in the Geelong Bird Report for 1995.

3 I think Tim's paragraph about the heath may be combining what i would consider 3 areas; i The Distillery Creek picnic area which is the bit of Angahook Park closest to Airey's Inlet (go along Bambra rd) has a bird hide and is the starting point for several good birding walks. The long walk past Currawong Falls is extra good. Angahook has lots of good birds eg gang gangs, forest ravens, king parrots, crescent honeyeaters.

ii From The Bambra rd -distillery creek rd jct go right along distillery creek rd, passing the ponds of what i believe is the Airey's sewage treatment works where i assume tim is seeing his ducks. Just past this is a very good area for crescent honeyeaters.

iii When you get to No 2 Rd go right and you will eventually get to the Anglesea coalmine. (Obviously therefore you can do all this backwards from Anglesea.) behind the coalmine is a big heathland area called Bald Hills. Emu wrens, C R heathwrens if you are lucky, Tawny crowned H/es, etc.

4 If you go to Edwards Point hoping to see waders, try to be there at high tide in Swan Bay, ie start walking about 2-3 hours after high tide at the Heads (which is in the paper.) When the tide is low in Swan Bay most waders will be out feeding on the mudflats; when the mudfalts are covered there is a roost at the tip of Edwards Point.

5 Rather than go to Lake connewarre itself I'd go to reedy lake which is round on the Leopold side - I walked in from Moolap station rd yesterday and there were waders, egrets, a Magpie Goose, glossy ibis etc; heard a bittern but failed to se it. You need to wade. I have not been to Hospital lake (on the Anglesea side) recently but it should be good judging by the state of reedy Lake.

6 If I wanted to see a Cape barren goose I would look around the lakes south of Cressy on the Hamilton Highway.

Good luck!

Margaret