birding-aus

Harrington Estuary

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Harrington Estuary
From: "Brian Everingham" <>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 16:07:18 +1100
On the morning of 7th January Faye and I spent some time along the breakwater and in the littoral rainforest at Harrington, on the southern flanks of Crowdy Bay National Park. In that time we found 60 species of birds and I must repeat the high praise this area received from Edwin Vella recently.

The Little Terns appear to be thriving. They were in large numbers roosting on the sand spit at Manning Point and/or diving into the shallows while fishing. Locals who spoke to me were proud of their terns but were concerned that the community at Manning Point might not be so caring and might not have been informed or consulted as well as was the case at Harrington. They were concerned that the fox baiting program might not be so effective. Even if this is incorrect it does display a proud attitude on behalf of Harrington residents and they deserve congratulations.

I was without scope but the waders were prolific. I was able to identify Bar Tailed Godwits, Eastern Curlew, Sanderlings, Great Knots and a very close Grey-Tailed Tattler. The spit also was home to a pair of Pied Oystercatchers, lots of Pelicans, Crested Tern and Silver Gull. In the mangroves there was also a Striated Heron.

Over in the littoral rainforest it was much quieter. I guess we were already too late. However those of you counting should note there was a flock of well over 30 White Throated Needletail. Inside we were happy to find Black faced Monarch, Rufous and Grey Fantail and, though not a bird, the rare Southern Angle-headed Dragon (Hypsilurus Spinipes).

I am almost sure that in the species list we were able to identify all three corvids local to the area too: Australian Raven, Forest Raven and Torresian Crow.

Brian Everingham
PO Box 269
Engadine
NSW 2233