birding-aus

Yarrawonga birding

To: Mark Kliene <>
Subject: Yarrawonga birding
From: Chris Tzaros <>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 11:37:18 +1100
G,day Mark and other birders,

Over the past few years, most of my birding has focussed on the Murray
River and surrounds, including areas around Yarrawonga, in north-east
Victoria.  The Yarrawonga district is particularly rich in avifauna,
ranging from aqautic species which utilise wetland and riparian habitats
associated with the Murray, to a vast array of terrestrial species.

Lake Mulwala, the large dammed section of the Murray close to Yarrawonga,
is a great spot for White-bellied Sea-eagle.  I think it is from here that
birds radiate from to other parts of the river.  I have seen several pairs
of WBSE along the river, at places such as Barmah, Gunbower and Yungera
(near Robinvale).

Perhaps one of the best birding spots in the Yarrawonga area is the
extensive Killawarra Box-Ironbark forest, which adjoins the Warby Ranges; a
granitic range that runs more or less north-south, heading down towards
Glenrowan.  Just west of Killawarra is another bonza patch of Box-Ironbark
called the Boweya Flora and Fauna Reserve.  Top spot for Swift Parrots in
winter and I have seen countless Regent Honeyeaters there over the years.
Both are good spots to spotlight too, as the endangered Squirrel Glider and
the rarely seen Feathertail Glider occur in reasonable numbers.  In the
stringybark ridge habitat of Killawarra, Speckled Warblers are common, as
are most other small insectivorous woodland species.  The lower-lying areas
of Mugga Ironbark and Grey Box often contain Turquoise Parrots, and,
especially when mistletoes are fruiting, Painted Honeyeater.

Killawarra is about a 45 min. drive from Yarrawonga (maybe a touch longer),
so if looking for something a little closer, I wouldn't go past the Lower
Ovens Regional Park.  This is close to the locality of Bundalong on the
Murray Valley Hwy.  The Red Gum forests that line the Ovens River close to
it's confluence with the Murray form the Regional Park.  There are some
great spots throughout the park, but by far the best area is north of the
hwy, between the hwy and the Murray.  There is limited vehicular access and
the place may be flooded at the moment, but you should, in 2WD, still be
able to get into the place and have a walk around.  Some of the species you
would expect there now include Leaden Flycatcher, Red-capped Robin,
Dollarbird (a certainty), Azure Kingfisher, Brown Quail and Little
Friarbird, not to mention the numerous other typical red gum forest
inhabitats.  I have seen Bassian Thrush, Rose Robin, Crimson Rosella,
Little Lorikeet, Swift Parrot and Powerful Owl in there too, and Lawrie
Conole once saw King Quail there, so its a little ripper of a spot.
Contact me directly for a map of the precise area if need be.

Before I finish-up, I shouldn't forget to mention that roadside birding is
good in that district as well.  In areas where White Cypress-pine and Grey
Box woodland occur along the roads (e.g. east of the Ovens around Brimin
and Boorhaman North), look out for Grey-crowned Babbler and Apostlebird,
and at night, listen for Barking Owl and Bush Stone-curlew.

I have no doubt that any birder visiting the Yarrawonga region would go
home satisfied with their efforts.

Bye for now,

Chris Tzaros