birding-aus

Needletail, Tree Martins, and millennial sunset

To: Mike Tarburton <>, Birding-aus <>
Subject: Needletail, Tree Martins, and millennial sunset
From: Merrilyn Serong <>
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 19:46:44 +1100
Hi All
On 31 Dec a single White-throated Needletail was flying to and fro high
above wet forest regrowth (from logging in 1996) in Black Range State
Forest, about 70 km north-east of Melbourne (37 27 40 S; 145 36 56 E).
There are a few large eucalypts that were left at the time of logging.
The WTNT was not really alone as it was keeping company with about 40
Tree Martins that would occasionally perch in one of the tall eucalypts
for a brief moment then all would suddenly take flight. This was between
about 7.30 and 8.00 pm on a fine warm evening with about 70% very thin
cloud cover.
On the way home, while driving through a high area of Toolangi State
Forest, I was treated to one of the most beautiful sunsets I have ever
seen. A flat sheet of cloud over much of the western half of the sky was
glowing a rich orange-pink, which gradually faded, then the area near
the horizon turned a deep blood-red through the black silhouettes of the
tree trunks as I drove further down the road.  No need for New Year
fire-works after a sight like that!
Cheers,
Merrilyn.