birding-aus

New Year's Day birding

To: <>
Subject: New Year's Day birding
From: "Andrew Stafford" <>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 18:48:29 +1100
Hi all,

After sleeping off the previous night's festivities, a New Year's Day afternoon birdwatch seemed in order, and I made tracks towards the Samford Valley north-west of Brisbane. I continued past Dayboro and up Lacey's Creek Rd, following the road to the top of a high ridge. (A permit from Queensland Parks and Wildlife is required to traverse this road but there are no gates and otherwise it is open to the public.)

At the top of the ridge is a small area of rainforest and in summer this is one of the most reliable sites in south-east Queensland for White-eared Monarch. I located a pair without too much difficulty, although they were greatly outnumbered by the far more common Spectacled Monarchs. Other good birds seen here in the limited time available were Rose-crowned Fruit-Dove, Wonga and Topknot Pigeons, Varied Triller and Pale-yellow Robin.

On the way home, I made a stop at Golds Scrub Lane which leads to the Samsonvale Cemetary. Around the edge of a shallow inlet of water (on the right, about 500m from the start of the road) has always been good for quail and the grass has recovered after a recent fire. I was rewarded with one Brown Quail and a nice covey of four King Quail, but not the hoped-for Red-backed Button-quail.

Still, all up it was a reasonable start for birding in 2001. Looking forward to other stories of the day. All the best to everyone for the New Year.

Cheers

AS