birding-aus

Ticks or leeches

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Ticks or leeches
From: "Marlene Lyell" <>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 17:53:09 +1100
  Hi all,

       I too have had experience with both ticks and leechesand I agree with Colin, Be Afraid.  I'll choose the leeches anytime.  Although the one behind the eye made me squirm somewhat.
       Having had a tick lodge itself behind my right ear, I was unable to get it removed for 2 hours.  The pain shooting up the side of my head was almost unbearable.
      Once it was removed, by the old metho and tweezers method, I was unable to put the arm of my glasses over my right ear for 3 months, during which time the pain continued to a lesser degree.
      But we all still happily walk our tick, leech and mosquito infested bush in the hope of seeing those elusive birds.
      Happy birding, but make sure your backpack has metho, tweezers, salt, cigarette & lighter, aeroguard, mossie net etc etc etc.......and binoculars, if there's room!

Marlene