birding-aus

Re: Radjah Shelducks

Subject: Re: Radjah Shelducks
From: Geoff Lacey <>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 12:24:51 +1100
Martin,

On our Friends of French Island visit to Bullock Swamp on 11 November, Geoff Molloy (who lives at that house) said that he had seen 3 Radjah Shelducks nearby on several occasions throughout August-October but they had not been seen for 3 weeks. He said someone else had seen 4 on one occasion. He confirmed that the picture of this species in Simpson and Day is what he saw. I have no idea as to the origin of these birds.

Geoff

Hi Geoff,
Can you offer some opinion on this 'observation'? I haven't heard of the
species for FI.
Martin
---------------------- Forwarded by Martin O'Brien/NRE on 28/11/2000 08:50

 on 27/11/2000 21:54:41

cc:    (bcc: Martin O'Brien/NRE)
Subject:  [BIRDING-AUS] R.F.I. Radjah Shelducks

Hello Birding-Aussers
On a recent visit (Sat.25th Nov.) to N.W. French island in Westernport Bay,
S.E. of Melbourne, 2 of the locals reported that they had recently seen 3
Radjah Shelducks and that their neighbours had seen 4.
Their property overlooks Bulloke Swamp but the birds were seen on their
small dam alongside their garden , occupied by Domestic Geese and Muscovies
as well as 1 or 2 Wood and Black Duck and Purple Swamphens.
I was wondering if anyone knew of any free-flying birds that are kept in a
private collection or a Wildlife Park, Zoo, etc. or have any ever been
released from Serendip?
I think it is highly unlikely that they were wild birds.
Thanks
Graham Beal