birding-aus

Attn: Jim Davis and all

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Attn: Jim Davis and all
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 00:39:54 -0800 (PST)
G'day Jim and all,

At 4 pm today I was sat outside with my neighbour and
good friend Peter with his 2 very young daughters,
Angela and Holly. We chatted for a while with Peter
saying he had just been laid off work as a boiler
maker welder, not an unusual event around where I live
due to the Oz munufacturing industry.

A fairly long conversation took place and as we
chatted the outside family of 5 magpies flew down. I
get along with them all very well, as I hope I do with
all and everyone, humans included sometimes. The 5
magpies, 2 adult 3 juvenile, seemed to sit for a while
as Peter and I continued our chat, non-interuptus
style with the magpies sat around us. When Peter and I
did finish the talk, up jumped Dad magpie between
Peter and I no more then 3 feet apart on to our little
coffee table and gave out his most beautiful
repertoire, except tonight we got it all from him?
including thee most realistic dog bark? I think it was
meant to be a silky terrier? a cat meow this was for
sure a siamese and the finale was what Peter and I
believe was a Mac truck going downhill through the
gearbox. He then went off tojoin his family in the
bathtub I put out each day for them. Times like this I
kick myself for not having new batteries for my hand
held cassette tape recorder.

Is this the sort of report you are after Jim?

Thank goodness we Oz are not tampering with nature eh?
Peter's girls have not stopped laughing as yet and
it's close to their bedtime now and we are told it's
40 sleeps to go? would do they mean I wonder? :-]

Aaaaah this is Oz the land that I love so much.

JAG