birding-aus

Bird publicity and a TV celeb

To: "R.A. & A. Green" <>, "Robert Inglis" <>
Subject: Bird publicity and a TV celeb
From: "Patricia Sykes" <>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 12:26:00 +1100
Re locating brush tail possums. In my experience this is not as fatal as you
seem to suggest. We relocated possums for a wildlife refuge onto 20
well-treed acres that we owned at the time. We were given re-location boxes
and I hand-fed the possums with fruit, vegetables, bread for up to a week
until they were ready to leave the boxes. One stayed in the box for quite a
while if I remember. The thing is to nurture them until they adapt to their
new surroundings, and to ensure that the place of relocation is
possum-friendly.

regards, Patricia