birding-aus

Figparrot??????

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Figparrot??????
From: "Bill Moorhead" <>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 19:59:55 +1000
This evening (5:30pm),whilst coming home in the car I saw a small very green parrot\lorrikeet fly straight into a Benjamani Fig .I was almost pulling into my driveway on the Burnett River in Bundaberg(400 km north of Brisbane) and grabbed the Binos and startled it before seeing it again...a fleating glimpse really.It exited to the west at speed with a high pitched zit.The call was quieter than the little Lorris and Scalys.I am very familiar with those guys and am "fairly" sure it was neither.The bird was flying from what I think was a stangler fig on the other side of the road.Some observations...
1 .Very green with the light behind it.Maybe those up north who  see the Fig Parrot regularly would know what they look like from behind in flight better than myself.This appears to be lighter than in the books I've got.
2.Although I only saw it for maybe 2 seconds,I saw no blue or red.
3.Tail appeared very short and practically non-existant with comparatively wide wings.
4.It "hit" the tree at speed and didn't exit immediately.The other Lorrikeets seem to stay out of the fig trees anyway.
 I''ll keep an eye out.I've got 7or 8 established figs here and you never know I might get a conclusive look at what I saw today at some stage.I certainly am not convinced I saw the Coxen's Fig Parrot but by crickey after years of searching, this is the closest thing I've seen and right in my own front yard (If it is !!)
Bill