birding-aus

Brush Cuckoo - unpleasant update!

Subject: Brush Cuckoo - unpleasant update!
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 18:44:35 -0800 (PST)
G'day Andrew,

I can put my hand on my heart Andrew and say most
recently a very young girl brought a silvereye round
to my home for some care. She said and I quote" the
cat didn't actually catch it?????? but brushed it with
it's paw? with the cat's claws closed mode?

I've seen this on countless occasions and it's really
shock .... they seem to suffer more then other of
GOD's creatures on this planet? and they go into shock
much like you and I would feel if just missed by a
speeding car outside the "GABBA", whilst wearing a
Victorian one day cricket uniform. What I refer to is
the distance factor not the smiling then cursing
motorist but by the same distance of separation.

The older we/they get the greater the shock effect?
could it be the same but with a worse effect in birds?

I've now got a family of seven silvereye outside my
home ..... should I show them a cats soft spot :-]

JAG hoping for no bush in USA :-] pesky devils nick Oz
bush for the white house eh? I'll just go get another
"BREW" hic hic .......

 wrote:

Hi all,

I have an unfortunate update on the Brush Cuckoo I
reported from my garden in Wavell Heights, Brisbane
yesterday. The cat brought it in!!!

Fortunately I was able to get to it in time - our
cat, a large male Burmese, brought the bird upstairs
and he (the cat) looked extremely pleased with
himself, as cats generally do.

Anyway, I grabbed him and he let the bird go, which
immediately flew off, apparently unharmed minus a few
feathers, but probably in shock. I'm hoping it won't
be prone to nasty infections.

I guess this must happen often to young, inexperienced
birds in unfamiliar locations.

Cheers
AS

=====