birding-aus

Swifts at Pambula

Subject: Swifts at Pambula
From: "Mike Tarburton" <>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 10:04:00 +1000
John

While you are correct in thinking most Fork-tailed Swifts are seen later in
south NSW, we
are dealing with a family of birds that have the ability to turn up almost
anywhere, anytime.

While most sightings in south NSW and Victoria are made in February and
March I have records of them near Melbourne as early as October.  In  all, I
have 322 records of Fork-tailed Swifts in Victoria and 25 for Tasmania.  One
of the Tassie records is for August and one for December, and the rest are
Jan - Apr.

As for this season the first sightings I have received, were from Adrian
Boyle at Broome Bird Observatory on 12 September.  These 12 birds were
quickly followed by seven other sightings in the same area.  I have no other
Fork-tailed sightings as yet.  Does this mean the swifts seen at Pambula
crossed all of Australia and no one saw them?  If you have some records,
please let me & or the list hear about them.

By the way John, could you give us a date (& time?) for your brothers
sighting
please?

Thanks for your records - and I am still adding to my database if anyone
else would care to send in their swift &/or swiftlet records.  Many thanks

and may you all enjoy some happy birding

Mike

--
Dr Mike Tarburton
Assoc Prof Biology