birding-aus

Mitchell Park

To: John Clifton-Everest <>
Subject: Mitchell Park
From: Andy Burton's Bush Tours <>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 10:50:54 +1000
Hi John,

Allan may have a few additional sightings, but in general terms it is a rare visitor to Sydney.

Ern Hoskin "The Birds of Sydney" (1991) describes it as being rare with several records of birds flying into windows.

There are records of birds at Turramurra (1 in 1993 and 1996), Annangrove (single birds 1991 and 1994). In my local patch single birds were reported from Flat Rock Gully, Willoughby May 1996, and in April and May 1999 at Bradleys Head Mosman and Blackman Park, Lane Cove West. There is also a "recent" specimen in the Australian Museum from Chatswood.

One would expect Mitchell Park to attract this species occasionally.

The majority of records appear to come from the northern suburbs of Sydney as is generally the case with other fruit-eating doves.

regards, Andy

On a trip to Mitchell Park (nr Windsor, NSW) yesterday with a keen
birdwatching friend from the UK, I managed to show her all the usual
delights of that spot, missing out only on the Rufous Fantails which
seem oddly absent this year.  Along the creek we found a Powerful Owl,
which took flight more from the violent thunder than from the five
children we had in tow -- a magnificent sight flapping through the
canopy!  We also found an Australian Hobby, circling over the water.
But our most unexpected observation was an Emerald Dove, which proceeded
down the path before us.  We had some excellent views of it both feeding
and in flight.  I do not recall this species being recorded by others
from Mitchell Park, indeed from my memory it seems to have attracted
little comment at all on birding-aus.  Would someone (Allan Morris?)
care to comment on the incidence of Emerald Doves in the Sydney region?
Cheers,
John Clifton-Everest

--
Andy Burton's Bush Tours