birding-aus

Hungary and New Species

Subject: Hungary and New Species
From: (by way of Russell Woodford)
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 13:56:55 +0800

Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 10:14:52 +1100
From: John Penhallurick <>
Subject: Great Hungary Trip & new species

Just back froma six week world tour with my wife.We had an outstanding 10
days birding with Janos Olah of Sakertours (email:  I
cannot speak too highly of Janos both as a guide and a finder of difficult
birds, and as a person.  We saw 177 species in The Hortobagy, Zemplen Hills
and in southern Slovakia, an outstanding total for autumn.  We were helped
by unseasonably warm weather in the first week, which held up many of the
summer migrants, followed by a cold change that brought in many of the
winter visitors from further north. Bird of the trip:Ural Owl (macroura) in
Slovakia.

When I got back, found waiting for me the latest Forktail No.16, August
2000.  Apologies if someone has already pointed this out, but in a most
interesting paper Rasmussen, Wardill, Lambert and Riley offer reanalysis of
the taxonomy of the Zosterops atrifrons complex.  They provide convincing
arguments for raising nehrkorni of Sangihe and stalkeri of Seram to full
species status.  They also suggest that subatrifrons of Peleng I. and
sulaensis of the Sula Is might merit species status, but lacking info on
the vocalizations of subatrifrons, and given the existence of the
undescribed form in the Lake Matano area of Sulawesi, they decide to leave
the decision open for the time being.

Cheers,
John Penhallurick
John Penhallurick
Associate Professor John M. Penhallurick<>
Canberra, Australia
Phone BH( 61 2) 6201 2346   AH (61 2) 62585428
FAX (61 2) 6258 0426
Snail Mail  Division of Communication and Education,
            University of Canberra,A.C.T.2601, AUSTRALIA

OR (Private) PO Box 3469, BMDC, BELCONNEN, ACT 2617, AUSTRALIA

"I'd rather be birding!"
"Vivat,crescat,floreat Ornithologia" Hartert,Vog.pal.Fauna,p.2016.
"The market where possible,the state where necessary"(Margaret Thatcher)
"Sunt lacrimae rerum." Virgil, Aeneid,i,462.