birding-aus

My best view of a Koel

To: <>
Subject: My best view of a Koel
From: "Vella" <>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 18:00:45 -0000
Yesterday, had the best view of a male Koel in our backyard. The male bird was calling about eye level about metre in front of my face. These birds though regular around my area in small numbers are often elusive but I managed to creep up to this one and watched it calling for a few minutes. Also saw a female Koel in our back yard. There appears to be atleat 2 or 3 pairs calling around our home each day. The most I have seen together is 8 birds in flight over our street. Has anybody seen more than this number together?

Also I was quite surprised last Sunday how close I could get to a displaying Superb Lyrebird only 2 metres in front of me. It definately saw me but seemed to be more concerned in showing off in front of the other Lyrebirds. Though probably better, is having a Lewins Rail walk up to me and another only a metre infront of my face out in the open. No Kidding!

Edwin