birding-aus

A North Queensland Update

Subject: A North Queensland Update
From: Tony Palliser <>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 13:38:44 +1100
Another note from Del Richard's (of Fine Feather Tours, Mossman, QLD)

Late on Monday 30th October 2000 a fellow tour operator told me of these
small birds as thick as a plague of locusts at a location just west of
Mt Carbine, NQ.  Flocks of any small birds nowadays are unusual and thus
important so I decided to investigate.  I was at the location before
sunrise this morning 31st October and within 15 minutes a flock of more
than 500 Chestnut-breasted Mannikins had gathered for food.  This was
the largest number I had ever seen locally.  The entire area had been
burnt about 6 weeks ago and was quite bare.  Other species nearby were 6
Squatter Pigeons, Apostlebirds, 7 Channel-billed Cuckoos and a Pallid
Cuckoo.  Close by I located a colony of Noisy Miners which are quite
uncommon and surprisingly a pair of Grey Butcherbirds which may extend
their range by about 40km.

The Buff-breasted Paradise Kingfishers arrived in force this week and
are selecting nesting areas.  Also Barn Swallows have arrived around
Mossman with the largest count so far involving 14 individuals. A number
of adults are in very good plumage and the residue (younger birds?)
appear to be in mid moult which is usual.  You would expect that they
would have their new clothes on before they went visiting? Eh!

Regards
Del