birding-aus

Red-phase Tawny Frogmouth

To: <>
Subject: Red-phase Tawny Frogmouth
From: "Michael Todd" <>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 10:43:48 +1000
Thanks Colin,

Its interesting the way the rufous morph seems to be confined to females.

I was working in Lakefield NP for probably about 9 months in total (although
disjunct over a couple of years) and I used to go spotlighting pretty
regularly, about every 2-3 nights, especially when I was camping.One bird
that I would see just about every night in woodland was the Papuan
Frogmouth. So I saw a lot of Papuans, all fairly similar, vague differences
in colour, at least in the light of a spotlight. But the rufous bird I saw
was very rufous and I've no doubt that it was a rufous morph.

I took a few photos of it if anyone is interested.

Cheers,

Mick Todd